Saturday, May 2, 2009

A cool headphone buying tip...

I am not a hardcore music buff but do consider music as a good time pass. So, I decided to buy a headphone to pass time for my office. I didn't have a price range in mind but wanted a decent one. I went to this electronic shop and took a demo of Sennheiser HD 437. First of all the company's name is hard to pronounce. I had never heard of such a company before. But soon I got to know that it is one of the best in professional headphones (courtesy: Google). The demo was something called mind-blowing. I had heard the 5.1 and Bose speakers (low range though) but nothing like this. It was a complete theatre in my head. And hence I couldn't just say no to this headphone, even when it burnt a whole of Rs. 1600 in my pocket. But apart from the awesome headphones I also got a professional tip from the vendor. If bychance any one of you is keen about the technical specs of headphones, just notice the Frequency response. For me it's a cool 21 – 18,000 Hz. And why do I use the word 'cool', because for a good experience a headphone should be able to collect frequencies from a wide range. This would mean every minute sound in a song should come to notice. And not only this, the meaty bass is in the range of 20 to 160 Hz. So if you want a headphone which should shake your world, just make sure it covers this range specially the lower bass range of 20 to 40 Hz. And this is what makes a difference between a local ear phone and a cool head phone. Even normal speakers ignore bass because they are oblivious to such frequencies. But this frequency response is not the only measure of quality. Almost every good headphone covers this range. So, to separate the wheat from the chaff one has to actually listen to the headphones rather than relying on tech specs.

No comments: