Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Being a Software Engineer

"I am a software engineer" sounds cool, fills unaware people with awe. But ask a person with zero coding background and you will realize how life has played a cruel joke on him, someone like me. Starting from day one I have been bombarded with terms seemingly innocent in English, but having grave meanings for the computer. And with computer science people sitting around, it becomes a lot more difficult. I see heads nodding in confirmation here and there when the mentor is explaining something. Either one can go against the tide and ask foolish questions or can start nodding one's head in consonance.  An innocuous term like 'interface' took me 1 week to grasp. And after the training when I was given an actual project, I found a huge gap between expectations and talent. The corporate environment requires you to think on your toes, but I have ended up stepping on them. I weep for the future of my company. They think I can fix bugs without introducing more. The happiest moment of my day is when a problem gets fixed. And this has left me pondering that my happiness depends on the functioning of a computer. I have to write instructions in such a manner that it doesn't get offended. Another point added in the eternal debate of  'Science- A boon or a curse'.

1 comment:

Udit Chopra said...

hahahaha...coding karne me mazaa aata hoga na especially with even non compu guys like our dear gmat seemingly so adept at it