Thursday, June 12, 2008

Self study vs Experience

Stepping into the corporate world, one is always nervous about the treatment one can expect. There is always a challenge to remain employable, well equipped with the latest happenings. As I'm yet to be nurtured or marauded by the job environment, I've always thought how to keep abreast with the latest developments. How can a person meet the expectations of his/her employer at all times? I feel it can be done either by self study or you can gain the relevant experience. Gaining experience might be tough as you might not be able to grab the right opportunity. This leaves us to self study. One can use internet to gain some valuable insight. But then self study lacks authencity. A company might not believe you and might consider it a hogging the limelight act. This conundrum becomes more relevant when people wish to change their streams. Taking my example, I have an engineering background but also possess keen interest in finance. I don't have any relevant experience in the same and might not be able to gain one due to lack of expertise. However, I have knowledge about various fundamentals through internet and course books. The latter, though is a sincere attempt, might not help me fetch a finance job as I don't have anything on my resume which reflects a finance profile. How do experienced people bail themselves out in such circumstances? May be I might realise latter that things aren't that tough once you enter the river.

3 comments:

Sachai said...

Hey you have rightly expressed about your thoughts as I believe we all undergo such situations and do feel looking for mentor or right guidance.Though in todays world there are hell lot of things to learn ,upgrade in order to sustain in market apart from internal politics.But at the same time due to internet and google, things have become much simpler to learn and acquire the desired knowledge.Though the authenticity is a big ?!
But it all depends upon personal intrests and the passion to do it.
I will share one example with you ,few days back I had come to know that there is a guy in IIT D ,Civil Engg who is pursuing BBA ,online from a well known US university along with his BTech.He is very focused and clear with what he wants in his life.
There are also examples where we just don't know what we really want to do in life and where we want to go move ahead in life inspite of garnering with various degrees and accquairing higher qualifications from big reputed Univ.
We all expect more than what we get and have and also try to linger around here and there for what we dont have,atleast it does happen with me.So at times we need to haev pateince and sit back a while and learn things one by one.
Its very difficult to follow the heart but those who really can generally succed in life .
One of my pal ,he passed out from IIM L at a very early age of 23-24 years,he is facing the problem of having nil experience ,so experience is very important along with enough self study.

There are many good combo of Civil Engineering and Finance .

All the best
Oshin

The Evangelist said...

Very well said. Experience does matter a lot. And again it's the pursuit for success that drives us to do everything at the same time. I generally try to compare myself with other people a lot. It is although very frustrating at times but it has also helped me to open my eyes at right moments. In my college, people are really competitive and on the look out for anything which can add on to their resumes. This syndrome has caught me too and hence I'm really confused about what to do.

Unknown said...

Very interesting. Unforunately, lateral transition as a concept does not exist in India. This is my blog- http://mypyp.wordpress.com/ where you will find twenty published articles on the subject. You will have to do some short term course and take a chance but still it can be tough. Here is a case exactly like yours:-

http://mypyp.wordpress.com/2006/07/05/an-encounter-on-a-train/