Sunday, June 8, 2008

What's with these kids?

Summer holidays kick in and bring along with them bags of boredom, frustration and what-the-hells. They seem worthless and a torture during the college days when you have absolutely no work to do and you are reduced to the point where studying is considered a viable option. IITs have been famous for leaving its students literally idle during the holidays. There had been times when basic functions like attending nature's calls featured in the to-do lists. But days were not like these during the school years. We used to get some holiday homework, which was more of a test for parents. I remember enjoying looking at my parents who used to slog in making models and trying to display their artistry which acted as a proxy for mine. They even went to the extent of making the Qutab Minar using bamboo and popsicle sticks. I've passed those days but my parents have not been relieved from the onus as I've a brother still climbing the school ladders. However, there has been a little twist. Since I've have absolutely no work to do, the holiday homework conundrum has been bestowed upon my shoulders. Now when you have tasted the college curriculum, you tend to weigh everything based upon their final percentages. I would rather waste my time in an assignment which is worth 15 marks rather than 5 marks (Well the latter might not be even considered). So extrapolating this logic to the school life, I found that my brother's holiday homework per subject would have fetched him just 5 marks out of hundred. Why would one go into so much trouble for just 5 marks which, in normal circumstances, might not even matter in the final grades? Each subject requires you to make a model, a project file with pictures, some course based homework and in extreme situations writing poems. The rate of return for all this is almost zero. May be school wants to teach that marks are not the only thing in the initial stages of your life. But even then, an incentive of 5 marks, which you might not get in entirety, is very little. For me it is, and that is why I've decided to opt out from helping my brother. I would rather torture myself with boredom and ennui than being a part of this travesty.

2 comments:

Sachai said...

Hi Vaibhav,
Keep blogging,as well said by one of the pal in our bloggers group ,you never know ,when and how someone gets hooked into your blog/s.You write well.Keep the continuity and be natural ,the way you are and the way you think.......

Well to utilize the holiday time ,one should clearly know what one really likes,for example i used to like dancing,playing piano and was always intrested in learning Guitar during childhood days and paintings and many more ..........list is long.

Delhi is still new to me but to my surprise I managed to join Dance classes (early in the morning ,its good healthy aerobics exercises as well),looking forward to join Guitar ,apart from these I have already joined french classes weekend professional batch (i love french language and its useful in career as well,right?!).

I am so happy that its been almost after 10 years ,a long gap ,big vaccuum in my life ,I could manage to spare time for myself....things which i always wanted to do apart fromjob,work,assignments,consultancy, projects,etc.......
It took almost two months to find out various suitable places and convenient time but I made it.
Well I have taken small project in IIT D.........
It all depends how you take the things and listen to your heart:-)))))))
keep blogging!
Happy blogging and learning

cheers
Chaitali

The Evangelist said...

Being a girl gives you a lot of options to passtime. Joining dance classes or learning how to cook would never even cross my mind. 2 months time is right for activities in which you are already acquainted with. Learning guitar has been my yearning but learning in the city which you would leave in a month or two doesn't make sense. Given the kind of lethargy I've been blessed with I generally refrain from physical activities. So here I'm searching my soul and venting my emotions through blogs.